Saturday, September 10, 9:30-11:30
Rock Garden and Alpine Plants for Outdoors
Cloud Forest Plants for Indoors/Under Glass.
The best growers understand how the natural habitat of a plant can give us clues on how to grow it in our homes and gardens. In this class, Kerry Barrs, Professional Gardener and SF Botanical Garden Docent, will show you how to grow miniature plants, both indoors and outdoors, according to the longitude and latitude of their natural environments. Kerry will discuss both Tropical Cloud Forest plants as well as Alpine and Rock Garden plants.
1. Learn how to recreate a Tropical Cloud Forest inside and outside your home.
2. Discover how to create “epirariums”—controlled terrarium environments containing epiphytic plants.
3. Discover the Cloud Forest plants that can be grown outdoors in our Mediterranean climate.
4. Learn how to grow alpine plants and rock garden plants outdoors in our Mediterranean climate. Trough, container, and in-ground growing will be discussed. The following types of plants will be highlighted:
- High Mountain plants
- Meadow or Prairie plants
- Dry Land plants
- Mediterranean habitat plants